Monday, November 9, 2009

Broken Pieces


"There should be a time," says my forlorn friend, "when you heart doesn't break anymore. It should be like measles, or mumps. Past a certain age, you shouldn't have to concern yourself."

He fidgets with his cup of coffee, adds sugars, stirs, sips. "I mean, really, what's the point here? What is it I'm supposed to be learning? I feel like such an idiot."
No advice to give. He'll get over it but it will take time. The holidays are coming up and those are alreeady demanding, depressing enough without lost loves and useless questioning. "I mean really!" He balls up a napkin, lobs it towards the trashcan, misses.
The object of his affection has just told him that no, sorry, it's not going to work, she has other plans. He thought he was her plan.
"I should've known... Why didn't I know? Actually, I did know, but I didn't want to believe it so I pretended not to now. But I did, I really did. How stupid is that? How old do I have to be before I stop believing in fairy tales? This is ridiculous."
Well, yeah, probably it was. There's an old saying that when things look too good to be true, they probably are. In his case the romance had hit him between the eyes like a fast thrown baseball. Bonk!! He was done for.
"Oh fark. I'm thinking of moving, did I tell you? I'm tired of living here. It hasn't been very good the last few years."
I nod. Sometimes a geographical change is good for the soul. I ask, "Where to?" He looks into his coffee. "Damned if I know... Asia, maybe. I've always liked Thailand. Nice people there. Buddhists. Maybe if I were around more Buddhist I wouldn't act like such an idiot. Maybe have a better grasp on reality. Buddhists are smart, I've heard."
This may or may not make sense but now's not the time to discuss it. He doesn't look good. "You should get some sleep," I tell him. He shrugs. "Tried. Couldn't. Fark."
All I have is bumpersticker wisdom. He drains his cup of coffee, stands. "You around tomorrow?"
I nod yes.
"Maybe go for a hike, OK? I'll call you." He pulls his hat low over his eyes, makes ready to leave, pauses. "I can't even think of a good quote..."
Neither can I.

No comments:

Post a Comment