Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Take a Powder

My friend Elouise, a wonderful writer and teller of tales, recently sent me this email.

“I have to tell you that I find your ideas on gun control right on.

“T.C. (husband) and I have guns--long guns, and hand guns--because we find them interesting though there was a time when I wouldn't have a gun of any kind in the house. Then the kids were grown, we got some desert land in California, and needed a ‘snake charmer,’ a little .410, to keep the rattlesnakes from taking over. It went from there.... I am intrigued with the small (short) lightweight .22 rifles and have a couple of collectibles.

“Point being, everyone has to sign on the dotted line for MOST, but not all, legally purchased firearms. But anyone can pick up ammunition if they have the bucks to pay for it. I really like your idea of making the bullets hard to come by. We have to sign for medications that contain a controlled substance; farmers have to prove a need for, and almost sign away their lives if, they purchase specific fertilizers, so why shouldn't we have to sign for gunpowder? I say gunpowder because, ultimately, that is what does the damage. The brass and propellant stay behind, and we do have a significant number of folks who are into re-loading.

“Why not declare gunpowder a controlled substance and make it necessary to sign for it in any quantity, shape for form? We should even have to say where and how we are going to use it. Hunters could still hunt, we could still take our firearms out to the farm (away from town) or to a licensed shooting range to pop targets. It is just that we might be limited to how many rounds we can waste by how many we are allowed to buy.”

Sounds good to me. Thanks, E!

And on Another Front

I‘ve always admired Utah. Mormon murders and mysteries, polygamy, salt flats, a great choir, and of course, Brigham Young and John Smith, two of my favorites in American history.

Now I have something else to admire. Utah is in line to become the first state to have an official handgun, the Browning M1911. The bill to honor John Browning, the gun maker who created the pistol, sailed through a committee hearing this week.

Utah, it turns out, really likes state symbols. The state has 32 of them, including, according to the Associated Press, a folk dance, a tree, a hymn and a cooking pot.

Some things are just too good to be true…






No comments:

Post a Comment